Thursday, September 10, 2009

Having trouble sleeping

I can't seem to get to sleep tonight so I've been surfing and reading blogs. I want to share a copy of an invitation I'm designing for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary party. I've got the front designed so far and haven't decided if this is the final version or not. I do like the way it's turning out though. My aunt and my sister voted that it doesn't need anything else. I did go in and add one more image after their approval came through. I've read several times that a basic design element is to always use an odd number of items. There are 5 vintage images used on top of the texture image to create this card.



I used a texture from flickr but I can't remember whose photostream I found it on. I apologize for that and will try to find the creator of the image to give proper credit. The images are all personal family heirlooms. I'm not entirely thrilled with the spacing of the text but I played with it a long time and this is the best view that doesn't cover up a vital part of an image. The size of the finished invitation is 5x7 inches it and will be sent as a postcard most likely. The particulars will be on the back of the card along with the address area. I use Photoshop Elements 5 to create everything.

I plan to use these same photos as well as others and create several 8x10 prints that will be displayed on a foamcore base and set on small easels around the reception hall.

Mom is so excited! (This is not a surprise party.) I know she's about to pop wanting to help with everything because she loves decorating and planning parties, etc. But, she's letting me and my brother and sister handle it. It's about a month away so we've got a lot to do in a short time. The invites will go out next week (one way or the other). I think we'll be sending out about 100 invitations. I just hope we haven't forgotten someone who'll be offended to be left out. It's very difficult to think back over 50 years of relationships to create a manageable invitation list. I have picked Mom's brain for menu ideas because she's done snack type foods for tons of events. I've done a few but always seem to fall back on the old standards of brownies or spinach dip haha

My husband was very impressed when I showed him the invitation sample. He couldn't believe I had used a computer to create something that looks like this. I guess I'd never showed him a finished image that had much manipulating in it other than repaired photos. I think I surprised him a bit with my 'creative ability'. I'm quick to tell him or anyone else that PSE 5 will do amazing things if I can just figure out how to get it to work right LOL!

Hope you are sleeping tonight (if it's time to sleep in your area of the globe). God Bless You

0 blog friends left a treasured comment: