Wednesday, July 8, 2009

In the 'Old Days'

What did we do before the internet? I can easily remember when I needed to know something I either had to look it up in the dictionary or encyclopedia or, better yet, find someone who knew the answer I was looking for. I spend way too much time online and am just sitting here wondering what I did in all these hours that I now spend surfing and reading blogs.

We should NEVER be bored, ya know? With all this information at our fingertips we should be ashamed if we ever find ourselves with 'nothing to do'. Yet, I (using 'I' here instead of 'we' to keep from stepping on someone's toes) do have times when I just want something to occupy my time but it's not a book or surfing the web. That's really ridiculous.

I guess now that I don't have small kids at home to occupy me and, thank God I don't have to work 2 jobs, that I'm bound to end up with blocks of time where I'm just restless. Don't get me wrong; I truly enjoy having my time to myself. Nelson's very self-sufficient and always has been. He does not have to have me right beside him all the time and I feel the same about him. We know where the other one is if we need them but we're perfectly capable of being by ourselves as well.

I'm not really complaining; just commenting on the fact that it's not necessarily a good thing that I've become so used to an 'instant' society. Where everything we could possibly want is more or less moments away. We rarely have to wait for anything anymore AND we more often than not get irritated if we DO have to wait. Not something I'm proud of, just something I had to vent about.

I know I switched from 'I' to 'we' but hey, I was in a hurry to get back to reading blogs :-)

God Bless and hope you are more patient than I am :-)

0 blog friends left a treasured comment: